A message to all members from your Events Sub-Committee Chair, Henriette Werner regarding BDAQ's 2020 events calendar
As Chair of the BDAQ Events sub-committee, I am writing to you again with updates on how we’re responding to the COVID-19 outbreak and the Government’s directives regarding events and gatherings.
You would have undoubtedly heard the new restrictions put in place by the Government. As a result, we have made the very painful decision to cancel all face to face events until further notice. We ask that the branch committees and all members follow these precautionary measures.
These are unprecedented times and the continuation of our normal daily lives is becoming more unpredictable with every passing day. With the uncertainty of how the COVID-19 pandemic is going to affect our lives, we chose to err on the side of caution, so that we do not look back in retrospect and think that we should have done things differently in the interest and welfare of our members, employees, partners and their families.
However, there has never been a more important time to stay connected and I believe that in every challenge lies an opportunity. Therefore the Events sub-comm is pressing the reset button and brainstorming ideas on how we can continue to provide all members with the opportunities to connect, learn, laugh and celebrate with our fellow designers. We are considering more online live events, workshops and chats so stay tuned.
Following is information regarding BDAQ meetings and events. Please adhere to these guidelines.
• Branch face to face events should be cancelled. Consider how you can connect with your branch online, on social media, video chats, telephone meetings etc. There are many online tools available to allow virtual meetings to proceed.
• Branch face to face committee meetings should be cancelled. Again, consider virtual meetings.
• Regional Design Awards face to face events should be cancelled. In the coming weeks, we will be providing more information on how regional awards will be handed out. We will most likely host a live online event for each branch and winners’ certiﬁcates will be posted by mail. Branch committees should be in touch with head ofﬁce to discuss their options and preferences.
• Partner’s and sponsor’s face to face presentations to branches should be cancelled. Partners are being encouraged to provide the association with presentation videos that can be made available to all members.
• Management committee face to face meetings have been cancelled. The management executives and branch delegates have already been meeting online for a long time, so there should be no disruption to their communication or ability to run the association.
• 2020 State AGM will most likely become an online meeting instead. More information to come.
• State Design Awards gala dinner will be cancelled and a virtual event will be organised in its place. More information to come.
• The 30th Birthday party being organised by John and Marg Hooker on behalf of the Gold Coast branch will also be cancelled.
• Online CPD sessions will continue.
• The NABD National Awards night is scheduled for November 2020. At this point, we have not been informed of a change to this event. Hopefully, the crisis will be over by that time and Government restrictions on gatherings will have been lifted.
We trust that all of our loyal members and partners will bear with us as we navigate through the coming months.
Please be socially responsible and follow the guidelines and recommendations of the local, state and national health authorities, so that we can halt the spread of the virus and restore our normal lives in the very near future.
We sincerely regret having to cancel events but hope that moving everything online will not have a negative impact on your business or your health.
Thank you for your understanding and best health to you all.
Henriette Werner, Chair Events Sub-Committee
P.S. I would like to acknowledge our head ofﬁce staff, Tamara Smith and Olivia Dalgliesh, who are putting in a massive effort to assist members in these extraordinary times. Please have patience and understanding when dealing with our staff as this is unchartered territory for everyone and they are doing their very best with the information and tools available to them. Thank you.