Frequently asked Questions

How do I become a Queensland Building Designer?

The Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) is the organisation that regulates the building industry throughout Queensland. The QBCC supports the growing Queensland community by providing information, advice, and regulation to ensure the maintenance of proper building standards.

Within the Queensland Building Design licence, there are three different classes that can be applied for; Low Rise, Medium Rise or
Open Rise. Each class has a specific scope of work the building designer must work within. This information can be found on the
QBCC website - click here

To become a Building Designer, there are several prerequisites need when completing the Building Design Application Form:

  • Technical Qualification - a qualification or statement of attainment of required competency for the class of licence.

  • Work Experience - Two years experience in the licence class scope of work.

  • Financial Requirements - Information that illustrates you meet the Minimum Financial Requirement

  • Three Referees - To confirm your experience.

  • Proof of Identity

  • Professional Indemnity (PI) Insurance

The QBCC will assess this information provided against the Building Designer licence class the applicant has applied for.

When do I need to get a Building Designer licence?

According to the QBCC, as of September 2017, individuals and companies must hold a QBCC licence to carry out:

  • any building work valued over $3,300

  • building work valued over $1,100 where it involves Hydraulic Services Design

  • building work of any value where it involves:

    • Drainage

    • Plumbing and Drainage

    • Gas Fitting

    • Termite Management – Chemical

    • Fire Protection

    • Completed Residential Building Inspection

    • Building Design – Low Rise, Medium Rise and Open

    • Site Classification.


Employees, are only required to have a licence if they become responsible for:

  • Overseeing and directing the building work.

  • Ensuring the work is of a competent standard, i.e. free of defects.

  • Ensuring the work complies with the plans and specifications.



What if I hold a Building Designer licence in another state?

You must hold a QBCC licence before you carry out any building work in Queensland. If you have a licence in another state, you can apply for an equivalent QBCC licence without the need to provide a technical qualification or experience. However, in some cases, you may need to complete a managerial qualification.

I’m a paragraph. Double click here or click Edit Text to add some text of your own or to change the font. This is the place for you to tell your site visitors a little bit about you and your services.

What if I hold an equivalent licence overseas?

If you want to work within the Queensland construction industry and need to get a licence, you will need to get your international licence recognised. This ensures QBCC is satisfied that your licence meets the technical qualification requirements as well as other factors. If you have a licence in New Zealand, you may be able to apply through the Mutual Recognition process.  

For more information about licencing in Queensland,   contact QBCC 139 333 or visit

Major Partner

NEW JamesHardie.png

Find Us

The Build & Design Centre

66 Merivale St, South Brisbane QLD 4101

Association of Queensland Inc.